Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Captains Bride (Northern Lights #1) Book Review

Title: Captains Bride (Northern Lights #1)
Author: Lisa Tawn Bergren
Pages: 400




I must begin this review by saying I LOVE the ocean and anything to do with its beauty and grandeur. With that said I absolutely loved this book. I enjoyed the ties each character shared yet the individual life events the tore them apart. These life events were so relevant I found myself reflecting on how I would handle similar situations. 

Plot: There are several stories happening within the main over arching story line. There is just enough shifting between stories to keep your attention, but not so much as to get you lost and confused.  
The story begins in Norway with a group preparing to embark on a journey to America. All planning to begin a new life in a land of promise. Once the immigrants arrive in America their stories  break off to follow the happenings in the lives of these new Americans.

Characters:  I really enjoyed each of the "main" characters in this book. They were so real and believable I found myself calling for vengeance, smiling, laughing or agonizing over certain events in the book. Elsa and Peder take center stage as they are the captain and bride.  Karl is Peders best friend and First Mate. Kaatje is Elsa's best friend who comes to America looking for a new start with her husband. Torah is Elsa's little sister,  who is willing to stop at nothing to reach her own personal dreams. 

Themes:  The main theme of this book I would say is beginning anew. Leaving home for a new land, everyone is focused on what future America has for them. 

Emotion: This book drew emotion from me immediately. The steady pace kept me caught up in this story of hope and disappointment, joy and pain. 

Overall: This was a very good book. I truly enjoyed it and plan on immediately grabbing the next book in the series to see what happens to my new friends. The story is one that continues to grow. Each of the characters hold their own individual lives, yet they intermingle with their native countrymen. I found myself falling in love with some of the stories and truly disliking others. This made the story that much more enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment